Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Garden week: Hot garden salsa


Every year my dad's garden gets a little bit bigger. It does not bother me because I do not have to weed it, and there are fresh vegetables all summer long. 
Every year I make salsa for my dad. He loves it HOT, so this recipe makes a hot salsa. My mom cannot eat it because it is too hot. I like hot salsa, but this is even a little hot for me.

The ingredients are simple, but mix together to make a very fresh tasting salsa.

Garden Fresh Salsa:

Ingredients:

  • 2 roma tomatoes
  • 2 green tomatoes [tomatillos] 
  • 1 small onion
  • a handful of cherry tomatoes [I add these because I like their orange color]
  • 1 jalapeno
  • 1 habanero pepper
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • Handful of cilantro

Directions:

Place all the ingredients in to a food processor. If you want a milder salsa you can leave the seeds out of the peppers, or leave out the peppers all together. Be careful cutting a pepper, make sure you do not touch your eyes immediately after. I speak from experience, it will hurt. Bad.  I cut the ends off of the peppers and added the whole thing, seeds and all. [I will stress again, this is a HOT salsa]. Blend all the ingredients together until roughly chopped. I like a chunky salsa, so I leave larger pieces.
Enjoy!
[Please note that this picture was taken after my dad and brother discovered the salsa, and helped themselves]




No comments:

Post a Comment